Creating a ThruTalk script
This guide will share the step-by-step script creation process in your ThruTalk account.
Before building a script in ThruTalk, create a skeleton script, or a bare-bones outline of questions. By creating a basic outline of your script, you will be able to establish the order of the questions and branching logic prior to creating the script. This helps to create a clear and coherent script, and allows you to easily manipulate ideas without needing to make any changes in ThruTalk.
From the scripts page's top right corner, click on "Create New Script." If your account is synced with VAN, you'll be prompted to choose whether you're using this script for MyCampaign, MyVoters, or neither. When you create a script linked to VAN, we refer to it as a VAN script. You can read more about VAN scripts here.
Click "Rename script" and give it a title, then click "Save."
Consider creating a naming convention for your organization's scripts to keep track of versions over time and expected audiences.
Below the script name is the "Script Builder." The builder automatically shows your default starting question. Click "Edit" on the starting question to make changes.
You can change the survey question verbiage or add Script Text using the "+ Add Optional Script Text for Caller to Read" button.
Note - The default starting question's title, type, and response options are not editable, as they must remain universal for processing purposes.
Click "Save" when your default starting question edits are complete.
Input data for each field.
- Add the Question Type:
- Script Text Block: Input script text for the callers to read, but without a survey question and response input for callers.
- Instant Follow Up: Input ability for callers to send a scripted text message to the contact they are currently calling.
NOTE - Instant Follow Ups should not be used immediately after the default starting question.
- Checkbox Pick Many: Input a survey question and survey response options where callers can select multiple answers for a single question.
- Freeform: Input a text field so callers can record responses or notes.
- Multiple Choice (Pick One): Input a survey question and the survey response options where callers can select only one response.
For data integrity reasons, we recommend not using the freeform response type as the last question in your script.
"+ Add Optional Script Text for Caller to Read" is an optional field available if you have a complex question and you need to provide more detail before asking. You may want to include introductory language or offer notes for callers. Only "Optional Script Text" fields may be edited after a script is used.
Click on the text to expand the field to add your text:
Add a Survey Question:
- The survey question is the question the caller will ask the contact at this point in the script.
- Add the survey responses: This data will be marked during the call and listed in reporting.
- Click "Add another response" to add additional survey response options to a single question.
- Click "Save" to save the question you just added (After saving, you can click "Delete" if you wish to remove it.)
Click "Add another question" to add additional questions to your script. Instant Follow Ups can be added at this point in your script!
Keep building your script by repeating Steps 5 and 6... And that's it! You've successfully created your ThruTalk script.
Interested in adding custom data to your script question text that comes from your groups? You can use variables in your script to do just that. Please check out our How to Add Custom Data on the Calling Page and in the Script guide for details.
- If a script has not been added to a campaign, its questions can be edited or deleted.
- If a script has already been added to a campaign, its questions can be viewed but are not editable for data validation purposes.
- If you need to change the script name, click on "Rename script" to input the new name and, when prompted, click "Save" to update the name:
- Scripts can be deleted by selecting the "Delete" option from the scripts management page.
Note - Scripts can only be deleted if they have not been added to a campaign. However, this action is permanent and cannot be undone.
Consider creating a survey question titled "Contact Called" so that you can target those contacts in a future campaign to call them back. To target based on this:
- Generate an Account Campaign Dials export for the campaign
Filter the CSV based on the "Contact Called" survey response
Create a "Contact Called" group from the filtered CSV
Create a new campaign with the "Contact Called" group as the base segment
For an overview of managing all scripts within your account, please review our guide, Managing Scripts in ThruTalk.